his post is more of a note to me so I know what to do when I need to install XP again, as I have just un-installed Vista after a months use and gone back to XP.
I had a lot of problems with Vista, most of my games didn’t work with Vista, I have a £100 printer that’s as good as a brick because it’s not compatible and copying files to a USB device took forever. I haven’t got the best PC in the world but its still a pretty good PC and got a Windows Experience Index Score of 4.1, but when I was running Vista it was very slow and painful to use.
I did like the look of Vista and some of the new features, like the Sidebar the fast search results and the start menu, so I found away to get these features in XP without losing performance and stability.
How to give XP some of the features Vista has.
Install royale-noir first then Royale-Remixed, when “Display Properties” window opens after installing Royale-Remixed choose the “Media Center Edition 2006” theme then open “Appearance tab” and choose “Royale” then under “Color Scheme” choose “Royale Noir”.
The Royale-Noir theme uses the same resources as the default XP theme so it won’t bog down the system, this is the best theme to use if you would like to use a dark UI. The Royale-Noir theme was actually developed by the Microsoft design team and that’s why you don’t need to use the Uxtheme patch to use this, you can read more about the theme here.
- Alky for Applications 1.1, needed for Vista Sidebar.
- Vista Sidebar This is the same sidebar as used in Vista and only uses 10mb of ram.
- Windows Search 4.0 Give you very fast search results
- Vista Drive Icon Shows you the drive’s free space with a smooth colored horizontal bar.
- ViStart a Vista start menu clone but can cause explore.exe to crash, so use at your own risk.
- Windows Live Photo Gallery This is the same Photo Gallery as used in Vista
To add additional gadgets to the Vista Sidebar you need to add them manually, download the gadget that you want from Windows Live and use a program like WinRAR/7-Zip to extract the contents to a folder, then name the folder to what ever the gadget is called then put .Gadget to the end of the name e.g. BBCRadio.Gadget
Then all you need to do is place that folder to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Shared Gadgets
Free programs for a complete OS after XP is installed.
These are the programs I install, you may not need to install all of them so check out the program first to see if its a program you would use.
- Adobe AIR not needed if you don’t use AIR apps.
- avast! Best free antivirus, IMHO, with screensaver mode, or you could use AVG.
- Advanced WindowsCare Personal 3 A good program to maintain a PCs health.
- AutoPatcher Windows updates, add-ons and programs. Make sure you tick the add-ons to download them.
- Alt.Binz Needed to download NZB files.
- CCleaner A good cleaner
- Comodo Firewall Best free firewall, IMHO.
- DAMN NFO Viewer Needed to view info in NFO.
- DivX Web Player Needed for web content.
- DVD Shrink A good program to rip DVD-9s to DVDs.
- FileHippo.com Update Checker Checks online for update’s for installed programs.
- Firefox Best web browser, or you could use Opera.
- Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin Needed for Firefox.
- (IE) Flash Player Needed for web content.
- (Non-IE) Flash Player Needed for web content.
- Foxit Reader Best lightweight PDF reader.
- FastStone Screen capture program.
- Frostwire Open Source P2P program.
- Hotspot Shield Lets you view US only sites outside the US, ie. Hulu.
- IrfanView Photo editor
- JkDefragGUI A very good Defrag program with screensaver mode.
- Java Runtime Environment Needed for web content and programs.
- K-Lite Mega Codec Pack Needed for video and sound.
- KompoZer A great program for web authoring.
- MediaCoder Good program to convert videos for mobile phones, PSP and iPods.
- MediaPortal with the TVSeries plug-in and the SpinSafe skin. Needed for TV tuner cards.
- Notepad++ Not needed, but a better program then the default installed notepad.
- OpenOffice.org Needed for office docs.
- Pidgin Needed for IM.
- QuickTime Alternative Needed for web content and video.
- RadarSync Checks online for update’s for installed programs and drivers.
- Revo Uninstaller A proper uninstaller program.
- Shockwave Player Needed for web content.
- Silverlight Needed for web content.
- Skype Best VOIP program.
- SMPlayer Good video player that’s better then VLC, IMHO. If you like VLC you may want to check out Kantaris
- Songbird A great music manage that works with iPods and media device’s.
- Spybot Search & Destroy Needed to scan and remove spyware.
- Spyware Terminator Needed to guard against spyware.
- ted: torrent episode downloader Good program to automatically download TV torrents.
- Thunderbird Good email program.
- Unlocker Shows you why you can’t delete/move a file.
- Vuze Needed for torrent files.
- WinRAR Needed for compressed files, or you could use 7-Zip, but I prefer Winrar.
Not free but worth the money.
If there is a program you still need that isn’t listed have a look at my list of free software, there maybe something there that might help.
FOR more Goto: LINK